Sunday, June 3, 2012

Georgia to Indiana

Sorry for no blog for the last week - no Internet so here goes. I will try to get you caught up to where we’ve been & a brief run down as to what we’ve been doing:
Our last outing while in north Georgia we checked out Highlands - Lake Toxaway - Mountain City & Cherokee North Carolina. We went for a drive & made it into South Carolina just to add it to our list of states. While on this drive we stopped by Gail’s aunt who lives at Lake Toxaway & we had a great visit with her - another gorgeous place. Highlands was one of the stops that day It was around 11 AM when we got into town. As we were driving down the street I thought I heard bagpipes (which I LOVE) there in front of one of the churches in town was a piper - we stopped and listen for a while -pretty cool. This very pretty town - but it looks like a pricey place shop or stay.
After leaving North Georgia on Monday we made our way to The Smokey Mountains National Park - spending Monday night there. This was a great campground. The Smoky Mt's. are spectacular, I had to make myself stop taking pictures.
On Tuesday Pigeon Forge, Tennessee was our next stop - Our RV park was something else - we backed up to a great grassy lawn & a stream - the dogs loved it. We checked our Gatlinburg that day - visiting the Elks lodge while in town - doing a little shopping and listening to some good bluegrass music. On Wednesday we went to Dollywood - thanks to a sweet lady named Marie who we had met when we were in Tallahassee FL. She works at Dollywood and offered to see about getting us free passes for the day & she did. We had a blast - very fun day.
Thursday our next stop was Bardstown KY. & we stayed there until Sunday AM. We had a blast there. The RV park we stayed at was hosting a Bluegrass Music Festival Friday night & Saturday. Friday afternoon we drove around checking out the area. We went to Makers Mark distillery & I got to dip a bottle in their distinctive red wax. And we did get to do a little tasting. The weather on Friday was kind of bad - cold, raining & big thunder storms. Friday night and most of Saturday we heard some darn good Bluegrass picken. Saturday morning the weather was much better & we did a quick trip into Louisville to tour Churchill Downs - this place is something else. No races were running that morning. I could not imagine what it would be like on Derby Day.
Today (Sunday) we drove to Crawfordsville IN. On towards the Mississippi River tomorrow.
I know I have left things out - we are having such a great time it’s hard to remember it all if I don’t write it down. I need more adjectives


Internet is so slow I can’t down load any more pictures - will try again tomorrow 



lunch in Smokey Mt's






I don't think this ride was a big hit with Gail

This is the very 1st KFC - we had lunch here

My fun time at Makers Mark


"My new car"  in my dreams

 



Churchill Downs


Great Bluegrass Music


This was outside of a cute cafe in Louisville where we had lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment